Developing Computational Fluency
About This Course
- use place value understanding and properties of operations to solve multi-digit arithmetic problems
- look closely at ways in which strategies for fluency develop in the four operations of arithmetic across the elementary grades
- examine how students describe, analyze, and compare strategies so they can efficiently and flexibly solve more complex problems
- develop and examine their own computational strategies
- focus on ways to enact the Mathematical Practices to ensure that students become mathematically proficient
- analyze student thinking through classroom videos, readings and interactive demonstrations exemplifying the Mathematical Practices
- see the connections to the CCSS Standards for Mathematical Practices with a focus on the domain Number and Operations in Base Ten.
The full 7-week course includes all whole number operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division)
CostTuition fee is $500 per participant. Register 9 participants to receive a tenth spot free.
Clock HoursParticipants will receive a Certificate of Completion indicating the course clock hours (40) when they complete the course.
** Participants receive a Certificate of Completion indicating the course clock hours when they complete the course.
*** Participants may apply for graduate credit through Framingham State University for an additional fee. Applications will be available the first week of the course. For more information about credit, visit the Graduate Credit page.
To register for this course, please fill out the PDF form available on the registration page.
Cancellation/Substitution Policy:Once accepted, cancelled registrations result in a fee of $100. Substitutions may be made up to the first day. Any participant who does not attend the course, but did not provide TERC with written notice of cancellation at least 24 hours prior to the first day forfeits the entire registration fee.
TERC reserves the right to cancel the course if enrollment is insufficient. In that event, full refund of the registration fee will be made.